HowStuffWorks provides a summary of Scent Marketing, how it worked instinctively in days of old, and how nowadays it is more of a controllable marketing tool. Sarah Dowdey continues to break things down into explainable Scent Marketing tactics.
“Businesses employ scent marketing for different reasons. The company ScentAir breaks its scents down into four types. The aroma billboard smell is the boldest scent statement. It’s the closest link to the real-estate agent’s pie in the oven — a scent that is unabashedly present like chocolate or coffee. A thematic smell is meant to complement a décor. A French restaurant with a Provencal style might choose a lavender scent to enhance the mood. Ambient smell freshens an unpleasant odor or fills a void. And a signature smell is an individual scent developed and used exclusively by one company like Bloomingdale’s, Omni Hotels or Jimmy Choo Shoes.”
She rightfully states that the challenge to create truly meaningful scent branding campaigns, is to fully understand cultural trends and sociological preferences that may be the difference between success and failure.
Indeed this capability is what separates true Scent Marketing companies from the rest just supplying a box with a scent.
Read the full piece at http://money.howstuffworks.com/scent-marketing.htm
- Gordon, Rachel. “Freshly baked ads are toast.” San Francisco Chronicle. December 5, 2006.http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/05/BAGQDMPQB319.DTL
- Herz, Rachel S. “Do scents affect people’s moods or work performance?” Scientific American. November 11, 2002. http://www.sciam.com/askexpert_question.cfm?articleID=00034AFF-91FE-1DC9-AF71809EC588EEDF&sc=I100322
- “Scents and sensitivity.” The Economist. December 6, 2007. http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10250329
- Smith, Erika D. “Retailers Sniff Greater Profits in the Air, Seek Out Scent Mavens.” Indianapolis Star. March 10, 2006.
- Vlahos, James. “Scent and Sensibility.” The New York Times. September 9, 2007.http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/realestate/keymagazine/909SCENT-txt.html?pagewanted=1&n=Top/News/U.S./U.S.%20States,%20Territories%20and%20Possessions/Nevada&_r=1